Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 01:36:34 GMT by
I have to take a minimum annual distribution from my IRA in the USA. The money will remain in the USA for when I visit. Do I have to pay tax on the amount I take and if so how do I file this ? Is it foreign interest ? I am a pensioner paying 20% so what rate of tax would I pay on this foreign income? Thavk you
Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:18:49 GMT by
I need to be clearer. I established an IRA in the 80's when I lived in the USA, Now I am 70, I need to start taking mandatory minimum withdrawals each year. As a UK tax payer, I do not pay tax in the USA. I have some interest for year 2022 on this account. I know the IRA interest is taxable in the UK and now I am thinking of closing the IRA account and need to clarify what Admin 10 wrote in another thread, that "it is the interest that is taxable, not the balance, should you close the account". I am thinking of closing the IRA and putting the funds in a USA bank account so is the statement from Admin 10 correct and does balance mean the funds in the IRA account? I have no intention of bringing any of the monies from the IRA to the UK as I go to the USA regularly to visit my family. I am a UK Citizen domiciled here. THX
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 14:58:34 GMT by
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:21:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Bodhi,

Anyone, who is resident and domiciled or deemed domiciled in the UK, must declare their world wide income, arising in a tax year, to HMRC.  
This includes the interest arising from your IRA distribution, regardless of whether it is remitted to the UK or not.
This is done via a self assessment tax return and supplementary page SA106, where the income is declared in pounds sterling.  
The interest from your IRA account is added to your UK interest and the appropriate savings rates applied.  
Anyone who is not domiciled in the UK, has the option to use the remittance basis, where they are only taxed on their UK income/gains and any remitted income/gains.
Have a look at section 9 of Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:26:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Bodhi,

It is only the interest that you need to report, not the actual capital from the IRA, as UK tax resident and domicilled, you need to report
the interest even if you don't bring it to the UK.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:21:02 GMT by
Thank you, that's very helpful.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.