Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 10:51:47 GMT by echow
Hello. I started to be self employed as a driver for a delivery company in May 2023. The company arranged me to register under VAT flat rate scheme at 10% and filed the VAT returns for me with charges. I worked for two months only and became a self employed painter for a contractor company since Feb 2024. As I expected my turnover would not trigger the VAT threshold, I informed the company to cancel my VAT registration which was effective from end Mar 2024. I would like to know if I need to pay VAT for the period from Feb to Mar 2024 even though I issued non VAT invoices to the contractor company. If needed, which tax rate should I use – flat rate of 10% for transport, 14.5% for labour-only construction, or standard rate of 20%? Many thanks.
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 08:23:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you were registered up until March 2024 then you would have needed to have charged VAT up until your deregistration date. 
If you remained on the flat rate scheme up until your deregistration date then you would use the appropriate flat rate percentage determined by the type of work you were doing at this time. You can see the guidance here:

Determining your flat rate percentage

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.