Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 11 Jun 2023 13:45:24 GMT by
Hello HMRC, My wife with my daughter came to UK on 2021. They came with some savings which they put in bank account and I'm also sending them money for covering living costs which I earn in Hong Kong. They haven't have a job yet so they don't have any incomes in UK I'm not UK resident as I am still living in HK 1. Does my wife need to fill in Self Assessment and tax return form about the money she's getting from me for covering living costs? 2. Does she has to pay any taxes for these money? Does she need to report to HRMC about the amount of money she is getting ? Thank you so much for your help.
Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:39:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CarolR,
If claiming the remittance basis, yes it needs to be declared.
Please see guidance here: 
Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264)
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 14 Jun 2023 19:52:41 GMT by
So Wife (in UK) receives money, which Husband (in Hong Kong) sends from Hong Kong to her, to use as living expense. Wife need to claim remittance basic. Wife has to do self assessment. Am I understanding it correctly? Thank you so much for your help.
Posted Thu, 15 Jun 2023 09:13:31 GMT by
Also when claiming remittance basic, what is the tax rate like? Wife received £30000 from me (HK income) as living expense & rent. Thank you so much for your assistance. Really appreciate!
Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:33:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi,

There are no tax implications arising from the transfer of assets between husband and wife and civil partners.  This also applies to money transfers.  
This money is not income of your wife, so should not be declared as such in a self assessment tax return.

Thank you.  

You must be signed in to post in this forum.