Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:58:45 GMT by Louise kelbie
I work in the Middle East and hoping to have a lump sum of savings in the next 2 years to help me with a deposit for a home. If I transfer this to a UK bank account what do I need to declare, is this then taxable in the UK even though earned in a non-taxable country? Also, child maintenance I send to my ex for our daughter, does he have to declare any of this? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:12:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance here:

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

The maintenance does not need to be declared.

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:51:45 GMT by Louise kelbie
I’m sorry, I still don’t understand, if I transfer my money to the UK do I need to pay tax on it even though it was earned abroad in a non-taxable country? Thank you for the help
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 14:40:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Louise kelbie

As you are refering to a future event, HMRC cannot comment as legislation may change.
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 15:29:38 GMT by Louise kelbie
I just transferred a lump sum of money/salary at 0% tax to the UK from the Middle East below £20,000 - is this taxable or can it be saved in a UK bank? Thanks
Posted Fri, 10 May 2024 06:36:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Louise kelbie,
Sorry but there is not enough information contained in your question to provide a full answer. 
If you were resident in the UK when the income arose, then it is taxable in the UK.
If you were not tax resident in the tax years the income arose, then it is not tax able in the UK.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.