Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 08:20:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi gerhardr l,
Guidance on Unilateral relief can be found at INTM161030 - UK residents with foreign income or gains: double taxation relief: Unilateral relief.
Please also have a look at Inheritance Tax: Double Taxation Relief.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 05:50:28 GMT by Nickm54rph
Hi I am a UK resident with rights under the withdrawal agreement to claim residency in Italy. Last year spent more than 183 days in Italy last year, so I am liable to pay tax in Italy. However, I am not an Italian resident, as I do not spend more than 3 months at a time in Italy. All of my income is from a uk occupational pension. Am I required to pay tax on my UK occupational pension under the double tax agreement? Article 18 is quite confusing and my Italian accountant is unsure. Thanks
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 09:12:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You will pay tax in the country you are tax resident. Your residence is for you to determine based on the guidance available here:

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 18:59:47 GMT by Oliver Barker
Hello I am currently self employed in the UK and considering a move to Italy. I would keep my self employed work going here. Is it possible to pay tax here (currently sole trader but could switch to Ltd co if better), by submitting my tax return here and then just paying the difference on the higher tax in Italy? Rather than declaring there and claiming a tax relief here, can I do it the other way around? For my job and authorities I need to work, I need really to show tax paid here but not sure if that is possible? Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2024 09:41:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Oliver,
Please refer to guidance at Tax on your UK income if you live abroad.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.