Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 14:43:22 GMT by u
Hello, I recently moved from UK to EU, I was a full-time employee in the UK and lived in the UK until mid-August 2023 (130 days in the 2023-2024 tax year) After relocation, I continued working remotely as a full-time employee for the same UK-based employer until December 2023. My UK employment ended in December 2023. I started a consultancy business as a sole trader in the EU in January 2024, my main customer is based in the UK and I provide services remotely. I want to fill in P85 but I'm stuck on Your employment outside the UK details - no option for sole trader, what should I say here? Your employer: Who is your employment income paid by? An international employer A UK employer through a UK payroll An office or agent in the UK Non of the above seems applicable. Can you please advise? Thanks Czujto
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 08:08:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

You would only refer to the employment that you still had until December 2023 and therefore select a uk employer through a UK payroll.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:48:13 GMT by u
Hi thanks for the answer. What about Have you started, or do you plan to start, a job outside the UK? As I mentioned above, my employment in the UK ended in December 2023. In January 2024 I registered as a sole trader in the EU. Should I answer Yes or No? Thanks
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 10:41:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi u,
Select no as the new source will not be taxable in the uk.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.