Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:40:38 GMT by David Edwards
Good morning. I’m afraid I’ve stupidly made an honest error! In attempting to tidy my finances up, on 16.3.23, I completed two separate bed and isa processes with two different lenders:HL and HSBC. I’m afraid I had no idea this was not permissible (and still am not sure). The total amount is approx 14K. What should I do? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 11:43:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

You will need to contact the second ISA provider and explain the situation.  They will close the second ISA and repay to you anything your put in it.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 12:55:22 GMT by David Edwards
Thank-you. I also phoned HMRC and a nice chap told me NOT to do anything, but wait for a letter (by the end of year) from HMRC who would tell me what to do. He warned I might shut the wrong one down. He said banks report these things annually to HMRC. Could I just transfer the money from the 2nd into the 1st and then shut the 2nd one down? They were created within an hour of each other.
Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 16:06:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi de@,
You could to ensure no further interest is applied in one of the accounts.
Any interest earned will be taxable income and form part of your savings allowance. the interest in the remaining ISA will still be tax free.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.