Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 17:29:14 GMT by
Hi, I would like to understand how can I add a pension contribution to previous tax year (2022/2023) so that I can claim pension tax relief. Kind regards.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:41:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi wy,
If you are in Self Assessment you can include the pension contibutions on your tax retrun to claim the relief.
If not in Self Assessment you will need to contact HMRC with the details at  Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:35:59 GMT by
Where on the form do you input this information. Do I simply lump all 4 years controbutions together and input in the relevant box in the Paying into registered pension schemes and overseas pension schemes section.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:17:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
The pension threshold for 22/23 is £40000 or the equivalent of your earnings if you earn less than £40000.00.  You can carry forward the unused element of your pension threshold from the 3 previous tax year and add it to your threshold for 22/23.  If your pension payment is below the new revised threshold, then there is nothing to report on your tax return.  If you exceed the revised threshold, you declare the excess above the threshold on paper SA101 or in the online tax return equivalent box.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.