Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 17:47:13 GMT by Mila
Hello, I have a question regarding P85 form. I've been in full time employment in the UK since June 2023 until mid-March 2024. My circumstances have changed, I've left the country and moved to the USA, where I registered a small consulting business. So officially my contracting business started in second part of March 2024. I don't have any income or any property in the UK but I do invoice a UK registered business for my services. So I'm not sure whether answers to the following questions in P85 form (I am filing online) make sense: 1. Have you started, or do you plan to start, a job outside of the UK? I'm going to say yes here as I started my own company in the USA. Is this correct? 2. Who is your employment income paid by? A) an international employer b) a UK employer through a UK payroll c) an office or agent in the UK I think I should select c) as I do invoice a UK registered business for my services and therefore my income comes from the UK office. However, I am confused with the term “employment income” as I am not a full-time employee for this company but a freelancer. 3. Your employer’s details. Name of office or agent in the UK _____ PAYE reference ______ Should I provide these details? I think the company in the UK (my client) is not my employer so I am confused why the form asks me this question. What I'm really worried about is that next year they will tell me that I'm due to pay some tax because I receive income from the UK even though I'm not resident anymore. Are my concerns valid? Again, I have no other income in the UK, never had a business registered there.I don't think I will return to the UK in any nearest future. Thanks a lot!
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 16:22:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mila,
For assistance we would need to access your record.
Please contact HMRC Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 20:27:11 GMT by Mila
I have already checked the page you provided and contacted the Income Tax general enquiries by phone. However, I couldn't find the information I needed (online) or get support in finding an answer to my questions (via phone). Despite being on hold with HMRC for 45 minutes (while calling abroad using roaming), I was still unable to obtain the necessary information. Could you please advise me on who else I can contact or where else I could find the answers I need? Thank you!
Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 11:12:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Unfortunately, as we would need to access your record to review this, you would need to conatct our Income Tax team for advice.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.