Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 08 Oct 2024 16:08:38 GMT by GCapelli
Hi, I will use an example to clarify my questions. At the end of the current tax-year my situation will be: - I will have earned £ 8,000 pounds (gross salary) from my previous job terminated in June - I will have paid £1,000 in taxes - my former employer has paid into my pension £5,000 (through salary sacrifice) - I will have received a TAX-FREE scholarship of £18,000 Since I would like to top-up my private pension with some savings I have, I would like to understand what I should do to maximise the tax-relief and not to exceed my annual allowance. My understanding is as described below: - I can receive tax-relief up to 100% of my taxable earnings, therefore only the £8,000 from my previous job: the money from the scholarship are tax free and they should not be considered. - According to the previous point, I could pay into my pension £6,400 to which £1,600 of tax relief would be added, for a total of £8,000 - If I pay into my pension other £14,000, I won't receive any tax relief, BUT I won't pay any tax since I will stay below my annual allowance of £60,000 (£5.000 paid by my previous employer + £14,000 paid by me + £6,400 paid by me + £1,600 tax relief = £ 27,000) Could you please confirm if my understanding is correct? I have already read all the guidance published on your website but I cannot find a situation similar to mine to check my understanding. Thanks for your support Gianluca Capelli
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 14:04:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
We cannot comment on any form of calculation/example or scenario, whether fact or fiction.
We can only point you the direction of the guidance, so that you can review the guidance and to allow you to make an informed decision.  
If, after that you still need advice, you need to employ the services of a financial adviser. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.