Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:29:16 GMT by
Hi Team, Quick question that I don't find an answer to. Here is my situation: 1. I opened a Cash ISA first time in my life 2 months back. I deposited £1000 in it during account opening. 2. I have received ~£10 interest on it. 3. I have now withdrawn all the money £1010 (includes the £10 interest) and closed that Cash ISA account. Currently I don't have any Cash ISA account opened. 4. Can I now open a new Cash ISA account with another provider in this FY? Note: overall interest that I have received this FY from my savings with other bank is well within £500, so none of my interest income is taxable. So please guide if I can open a new Cash ISA account this year or I have to wait till new FY begins in April 24? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 18:10:05 GMT by
Any replies to this query will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 10:46:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If a 14 day cooling off period applies to this account and you change your mind within 14 days of opening the account, you may close it without being charged and the account will not be considered part of your ISA tax allowance for that tax year. That will allow you to open another one.

The interest you received no longer falls under ISA interest and would count as part of your Personal Savings Allowance.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 14:24:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
Please see the following link:
Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs): Withdrawing your money
If ths does not answer your enquiry then you would need to contact the ISA provider.
Thank you
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:11:46 GMT by Onceoption
If I open a cash ISA account in this tax year (referred to as the first year) and invest 20,000 pounds, I will receive the interest on this Cash ISA account in the next tax year (referred to as the second year), and this cash ISA ends, At this time (this is the second year), if I transfer the cash from this cash ISA account to another new cash isa account, will it affect my allowance for putting money into the cash isa in the second year? Every year There is an allowance of 200,00 pounds that can be newly deposited into a cash ISA.
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:12:29 GMT by Onceoption
Hi, If I open a cash ISA account in this tax year (referred to as the first year) and invest 20,000 pounds, I will receive the interest on this Cash ISA account in the next tax year (referred to as the second year), and this cash ISA ends, At this time (this is the second year), if I transfer the cash from this cash ISA account to another new cash isa account, will it affect my allowance for putting money into the cash isa in the second year? Every year There is an allowance of 200,00 pounds that can be newly deposited into a cash ISA. Thank you
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:23:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Onceoption,
The interest earned does not count as a deposit so is not part of the £20k allowance.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.