Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 04 May 2023 08:51:08 GMT by FlashHermann
Hello, I've found the questions and answers really useful so far regarding the form and where to send it but I was not employed when I lived abroad (my husband was) and I would like to know if I can claim for my NI contributions whilst I was abroad or whether I will have to now top up my NI contributions for the 3 years I lived abroad? I was receiving child benefit during that time as I had a school-aged child if this has any impact on the matter. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 09 May 2023 09:20:18 GMT by Paul MacDonnell
I've just been told by the Future Pension Service (over the phone) that, due to the extension of the deadline for repaying missing years form NI to July, the deadline for submission of this CF83 form is also extended. Is that the case?
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 13:27:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Naomi,

I can confirm that you are not obliged to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions for the period you were living and working in New Zealand. They are optional, and the choice is yours.
Before you decide to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions, you should check with the Future Pension centre how many qualifying years you already have, and if paying voluntary National Insurance contributions will benefit you.
You can contact them on +44 191 218 3600, lines are open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.
Once you have discussed this with them, and decided if you want to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions, you would need to complete the CF83 application form. This form can be found on the GOV.UK website, and leaflet NI38 will provide you with further information. Please see the following link - Social Security abroad: NI38

Thank you
Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 14:43:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi FlashHermann,

When you are claiming child benefit in the UK your account is normally credited, therefore it wouldn’t be worth paying voluntary National Insurance contributions.  
In order to determine whether the years already count towards your state pension you should sign into your personal tax account, or contact DWP or HMRC directly.  
Find out about the State Pension
Contact HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 10:58:34 GMT by IslandGirl
I posted my CF83 (+ supporting documents) on 26 April from a Post Office in Kent. I used the Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For service. Over 2 weeks later, the tracking still shows that it has not been delivered/signed for by HMRC. I realize that HMRC receives huge amounts of mail. Please can you confirm that letters using special delivery services do actually get signed for upon receipt. Or shall I assume it is lost in transit and send it again? I need proof of receipt (or proof of it being scanned into your system) before the 31 July deadline please.
Posted Wed, 17 May 2023 09:00:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Paul MacDonnell,

The deadline for paying the older years of voluntary contributions has been extended to the 31st of July for both UK and overseas customers.  
As long as your application is received before that date we will action it.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 10:42:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi IslandGirl,

Our Central Mailing Unit scans in the Royal Mail recorded post we receive from Royal mail and Couriers.
This allows us to trace any recorded post received and see where it has been forwarded on to.  
You can track your own Recorded mail using either the Royal Mail track and trace web site or by logging onto whichever courier website you have used to send post in to HMRC.  
Cemtral Mail Unit does not issue any confirmations of receipt.  
Our Telephone Call Guide for customers wanting to know if we have received their mail item advises to allow 4 weeks for mail to be scanned onto our digital mailing system.  

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 07:35:04 GMT by sarakab9090 aman
Hello , I have sent my completed CF83 form to this address which was at the bottom of the two pages as part of the guidance leaflet: HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), NIC;EO, International Caseworker, Benton Park View, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, NE98 1ZZ, England Can you confirm that this address will be fine, or do I need to resend the application to this address: PT Operations, North East England, HM Revenue and Customs BX91AN, UK Would appreciate your quick reply to resolve this issue.
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 07:54:32 GMT by sarakab9090 aman
Hello HRMC, I also wanted to check whether it would be ok to mail two applications in one package (mine and my husbands) or if it is better to mail two separate applications. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 03 Jun 2023 18:08:51 GMT by Andrea Cammarota
Hello HMRC, I am not a British citizen (currently applying for naturalisation) and I have been living in the uk since 2017 with no contribution gaps since then. Would I be able to pay the period from 2006 to 2016 with class 3 voluntary contribution? Would the procedure be the same as advised for other users (CF83)? Thank you very much
Posted Mon, 05 Jun 2023 11:36:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
We can confirm that the second address in your message is a more updated address however, your form will still reach HMRC by using the address quoted on the form. 
You can send both yours and your husbands forms in the same envelope. It may be better to send separately though, as all post is scanned electronically, then logged onto our system with your National Insurance number as a reference.
Thank you.

Posted Thu, 08 Jun 2023 08:48:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Andrea,

You can only pay for gaps in your National Insurance records from the year in which you arrived in the UK. You can not pay for any tax years prior to that.
The CF83 application form would not be applicable to you, its for people who have left the UK and want to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst abroad.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 13:22:35 GMT by augustquestions
Hi, I would like to confirm CF83 is the correct form for my situation. I was stationed in the UK as a US military member from 2008-2012 but paid social security to the USA during those years. I have continuously lived in the UK since and am now naturalised and plan to retire in the UK. I've checked my NIN contributions and would like to catch up for those years - would I still use the CF83 to pay the shortfall and contribute to my UK state pension - can I accomplish this with the CF83? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 12 Jul 2023 08:25:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi augustquestions,

The CF83 application form is for customers who want to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions for periods living abroad.
From the information you have provided, you would like to pay for a period when you were living in the UK, therefore the CF83 is not the correct application form for you to complete. 
Your first step would be to contact the Department for Work and Pensions (0800 731 0175 lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm) to find out if paying for the gaps in your National Insurance records will increase your pension. 
Once you have confirmed that with them, you can either write to HMRC National Insurance contributions office to request a shortfall of the National Insurance contribution’s you can pay. See address below:
National Insurance Contributions & Employer Office 
PT Operations North East England
HM Revenue and Customs
Or you can contact HMRC by telephone on 0300 200 3500 to request this information.
Alternatively, you can use the webchat facility - National Insurance: general enquiries, choose the option ‘Ask HMRC online’.
This facility is available Monday to Friday from 10am to 6pm.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 21 Aug 2023 19:34:27 GMT by Thomas Murphy
Hi HMRC Admin, After I posted form CF83 about 6 months ago, (posted 06 Feb, received 20 Feb) andI was able to track the progress of the form online after some months, using my HMRC login, by going to Account Menu>Check Progress. I used to see the following up until about a week ago: Form type Online Date received 20/02/2023 Status IN PROGRESS However, now it is saying I have no forms online. Can you tell me please how do I get access to progress information. After trying to call it was hanging up automatically after so much time. Please help! Thanks 

Name deleted .
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 07:51:23 GMT by john woodall
Hello ..... i looked on my Gateway account and my CF83 form was loogged as received on 2nd May 2023 .... When can I realistically expect this to be actioned ?? and how will I know ??
Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2023 07:15:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Thomas Murphy,

Depending on the application type, your application may have been processed and the response will be issued to your nominated address.  

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 12:27:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi john woodall,

Our timescales for processing can go up and down depending on current workloads.
However – you can check our page ‘Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC for the most up to date timescales.
Once your application has been reviewed – we will write to you.

Thank you 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.