Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:13:27 GMT by
Hi, Currently, I am employed as a Renewable Energy Engineer, operating under the tax code 1257L and holding a Tier 2 visa. In accordance with government regulations, I am permitted to work an additional 20 hours in my existing job code or in roles listed under the shortage occupation list. Recently, I undertook a one-day shift in a care home and received the payment for these services two days ago. Subsequently, I received an email from HMRC stating that my tax code has been changed. As a result, I am a bit confused about whether HMRC will deduct 40% from my first job or if the existing tax status will be maintained. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or advice you could provide on the appropriate course of action in this situation. Additionally, if there is a specific department or contact at HMRC that I should reach out to for clarification, kindly share those details. For your reference, the details of my employment are as follows: First Job: • Job Code: Design and Development Engineer • Tax Code: 1257L Second Job: • Position: Health Care Assistant Thank you in advance for your assistance, and I look forward to your prompt response.
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 09:20:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

We would need to access your record to review your tax code.
You will need to contact HMRC. Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.