Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 08:27:19 GMT by
I am moving to Akrotiri in January with my partner who is in the RAF. We will be living on the base and I will be working from home. I work for the NHS who have advised that I cannot continue to work for them whilst living in Cyprus due to 'tax implications'. I will have a UK bank account and own a home in the UK. Can I continue to work for the NHS as a UK citizen but work in Cyprus? How would tax be affected?
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 11:53:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Joanne Beesley,
As you are living on the base and working from home you would still be considered as working in the UK as this is classed as UK soil.
There would be no change to your tax status.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:42:29 GMT by Lisa Dickinson
Hi, As above I have the option of moving to Akrotiri with my husband in the RAF, if we can go we will be living on the base and I would like to keep my job which is fully remote. My Employer are UK based company who have not come across this before but have said there might be a two year limit (the posting is for 3). They also mentioned they would have to set up a separate payroll because of the address (I will be keeping UK bank account) and have to pay Cyprus tax of over 2 years? I have done lots of research and am confused by their response. Can you help?
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 13:40:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Lisa Dickinson

As you are living on the RAF base this is classed as UK soil and as such you are still UK tax resident. There is no change to your circumstances as you should still be able to be on the same payroll.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.