Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:32:15 GMT by PMcG
Hi, Hoping someone can guide me in the right direction in regards to Non-Tax Resident. I'll preface this with what the original plan was to give a bit of information. The original plan was to move over and start work on 6th April. By this point I would not be employed by a UK company anymore and also not be paid PAYE. I will be employed via an EOR company and paid in local currency. With a hold up in paperwork, the original plan is 99% not going to happen. Instead I will likely travel to Dubai and work remotely for the UK company until all paperwork is finalised. I'll likely start working for the Dubai company end of April. Couple of questions for both scenarios. If the original plan is to happen, would I need to stay in Dubai for a minimum of 1 year to be a tax resident in Dubai? I've been reading the guidelines online and there's some confusion, mostly on my part! There's guidelines around if you're not in the UK for 186 days but also don't visit home for 90 days, then I won't have to pay tax on my return to the UK? Am I right in this regard. I think this is rule 1C in the SRT guidelines. For scenario 2, since this is now mostly likely, what happened if I have UK income after April 6? Do I need to do a tax evaluation over split years? I'm hoping someone can help me with a definitive answer (I'll likely have more questions afterwards). One last question, for anyone that is made the move for a year or longer, what method did you use to set aside money that you may owe in tax when you return? Is there any rules around sending money back to the UK to store in a savings account?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:12:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 

Please refer to guidance at Tax on your UK income if you live abroad and associated links.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.