Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:30:40 GMT by
Hello I’m currently self employed. I would like to know that if I get a job as being employed while being self employed, the tax I pay on PAYE does this get deducted from the self assessment payment I have to make at the end of the year. Also does both incomes get added up I get taxed on the whole yearly income and pay PAYE and also pay self assessment on my yearly income. So if I earn’t £30K in employed and £55k self employed the tax I pay on the employed (PAYE) does this get deducted from my self assessment.
Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 00:00:22 GMT by Phil Thompson
Your self assessment form will include both employment and self employment data and the whole will be considered and calculated accordingly.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 08:55:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Mark Jones

If you are an employee, your employer will deduct class 1 NIC from your earnings.  
If you then become self employed in addition to being employed, you would need to register for self assessment as self employed (Set up as self-employed (a 'sole trader'): step by step).  
If your net profits exceed the threshholds, then you will be subject to class 2 and class 4 NIC.  
Where this is the case, your class 1 NIC deductions will be taken into account when calculating your class 4 NIC please see National Insurance: introduction.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.