Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 15:46:44 GMT by katquestion
Hi, I am looking for help as I am a UK citizen but a non-UK tax resident. I own a flat in the UK and I rent it out. I have also already filed a tax return in France (where I live). My question is how do I let HMRC know that I am no longer a UK tax resident? Is there a form to fill in? What are the formalities? Thank you for your help!
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 16:43:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi katquestion,
As you are renting out a UK property this still needs to be declared in the UK and you will be classed as a non resident landlord.
You will need to complete a Self Assessment tax return to show this and inlcude the residence section that confirms you are not UK resident.
Please see:
Tax on your UK income if you live abroad
Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2024 13:00:27 GMT by katquestion
Thank you for your reply. Can I check whether or not I need to do a tax return by post? I have previously lived in the UK so I do have an HMRC account. But since I now live in France, does the self assessment tax return need to be done by post as it is the first one I am doing? Thank you
Posted Thu, 05 Sep 2024 16:30:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi katquestion,
If you are required to complete a Self Assessment tax return for the tax year in which you left, you would declare you have left the UK in the tax return, otherwise, please complete the online form P85.
Get your Income Tax right if you're leaving the UK (P85)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.