Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 08:52:08 GMT by maddiefuller
Hi there, I am currently on an emergency tax code which needs fixing ASAP. I can log-in to Government Gateway with no problem, however when I enter my number, date of birth and NI number I keep getting a "we cannot confirm your identity" message. I have called up the HMRC helpline and they weren't able to verify me either, which is strange as my name, birth date and NI number have never changed in my life so I can't understand how it could possibly be wrong. I don't know where to go from here, can anyone please give me advice on who can help me? Thanks!
Posted Thu, 20 Jul 2023 06:13:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi maddiefuller,
As you have been unable to pass security online or via our telephony service you should write in to us with your full personal details.
Please provide some form of ID (photocopy passport, birth cert etc) along with details of your query and provide a contact telephone number.
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 18:10:37 GMT by
I have the same problem. I already have a Gateway ID but I can't locate my user ID. When I try to recover it I don't have the items of ID required so I can't get back in - although I obviously passed the ID check first time around! Can you please confirm the postal address to write to?
Posted Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:15:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Our postal address is:

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:12:34 GMT by Sean Elliott
Hi I need to prove my ID but have no passport or driving license? How can I verify who I am to open my personal tax account? I am registered but can’t verify myself . Please help!
Posted Mon, 26 Feb 2024 13:44:57 GMT by Sean Elliott
Now I am being asked your full name (first name and last which they have on registration And the name of your professional body and membership number Which I don’t understand as all I want is to know is how I prove my identity as I have no passport or driving license
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:37:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

For assistance you will need to contact our Online Helpdesk.

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 07:00:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sean Elliott,
Please contact our online helpdesk:
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:52:29 GMT by Jennifer Kemp
Hi, I am attempting to make a name change to HMRC after having got married. My passport, my driving licence and all other documentation needed to verify my ID are in my new, married name. This means that my identity cannot be verified in order to change my name with HMRC. How do I proceed?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:54:29 GMT by Sanz M
Hi, After registering for government gateway, I couldn’t verify myself and got in touch with the Digital Technical support team. They confirmed that there appears to be a discrepancy with my Date of birth which was preventing me from verifying my identity online. They also advised me to write to HMRC with : Full name ·         Address (including post code) ·         National Insurance number ·         Evidence of your Date of birth I sent all of these Certified by a professional (Chartered Accountant) to the following address as advised by the digital technical support team on Feb 2nd. NATIONAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS  AND  EMPLOYERS OFFICE HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS  BX9 1AN  I called HMRC for an update on 0300 200 3300 on 13th Feb and I was told it’d be updated and I’d be notified by 29th Feb, but I haven’t heard anything and it doesn’t seem like my Date of Birth has been updated. I tried calling but has been on hold for 40 minutes and no sign of answer. So I hung up. Why is it so difficult and frustrating?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:52:57 GMT by John Coles
Hi I'm trying to renew my driving license, I have filled out all details required, my driving license number, national insurance number and passport number but as soon as I click continue after filling out these details it comes up saying "unable to prove identity" could someone please explain to me why this is?
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2024 10:50:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Sorry, we can only answer HMRC questions on this forum.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:38:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jennifer Kemp,
If you are  unable to change your name online you will need to contact the Tax Office on 0300 200 3300
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2024 12:43:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Sanz M,

We are sorry with the delay in updating your details. To review this, you will need to contact our Income Tax team.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:25:01 GMT by Cant99
Hi, HMRC have the wrong name under my details I cannot login because of this how can I change my name so I can access my personal account if I cannot do it online
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 06:01:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Cant99,
Please contact our online services here, 
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:33:35 GMT by Kuldeep Singh
Hi there, My concern is that whenever I login to HMRC when they come to verify my identity it doesn't get verified. All my details are correct date of birth, id proof BRP all correct but don't know why he can't verify and I also get shown we cannot verify your identity again and again
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:44:59 GMT by M8 SN
Hi there. I've been paying tax through a salary deduction since 2019 and have a government gateway ID. However, the HMRC website cannot confirm my identity, This has been going on for years and I would like to claim some tax back after not being able to get access all this time. When contacted, I was told that my identity could not be confirmed on multiple accounts despite using my driving licence. Could you advise and help, please?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 17:45:23 GMT by Georgeopara
After registering for government gateway, I couldn’t verify myself. What should I do please and how can I equally get a tax refund
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:47:54 GMT by M8 SN
Still awaiting reply pls. HMRC is not able to confirm my identity & I need to claim from income tax. Have used my drivers license to verify identity but someone told me my name is incorrect on the license, although it looks fine to me. I am not prepared to give up my license at this point due to urgent care needs. Pls help with this ID confirmation as I need to claim some tax.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.