Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 08:47:41 GMT by Muckie1
Due to redundancy, I have decided to retire from working.Although I have not yet started taking any pensions and I'm not yet old enough for the state pension. So I plan to live on savings for a year or so before drawing pensions. So I have received my settlement and a P45. My question is regarding section 7 on the P45. Total pay to date: Is this the actual gross pay or is this taxable pay with my Tax free allowance of 12290 (based on current tax code) removed. I finished 31st July 24, final settlement payments were paid at the end of August 24. Also as I do not plan to return to work, is there anything else I need to do with regards to HMRC ? Will they automatically refund any additional tax I may have paid? And do I need to keep the section 2 and 3 of the P45? Thanks
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2024 12:44:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
Your P45 should show your total taxable gross pay for the tax year to date along with the tax you have paid so far. If you do not think you will be receiving any further taxable income in this tax year, you can complete a P50, which is an application for a tax repayment for 2024 to 2025.
If you are not yet decided,. then once the tax years has ended we automtically review your tax record and if any repayment is due we will advise in writing, usually around May to July. You can see guidance here: 
Claim back Income Tax when you've stopped working (P50)
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.