Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 20:59:21 GMT by Yash Sharma
Hi Team, I am trying to apply for a tax refund for the FY22-23, and have not received the tax refund yet. Here is a summary of my current tax account state, as it would be helpful to understand my scenario, and provide suggestions - * I had an old National Insurance (NI) number, which belonged to someone else, with my same first name/last name. My employer had issued a P60 under the old National Insurance number. * I had applied for a new National Insurance number, once I let HMRC know that it belonged to a different person. I received a mail from HMRC to fillup a form for applying for a new NI number. I got the new NI number from HMRC. * I used Vialto to file taxes on my behalf, and they helped me prepare the tax filing. On submitting the filing, I am due for a tax refund from HMRC. They had used my previous NI number to file the tax, even though I had let them know about my situation(of having two NI numbers). At this point of time, contacting HMRC has always either told me - (1) your tax refund would be processed(during December) (2) we don't have any idea if you're due for a tax refund. As the tax refund is a substantial amount, I have been quite stressed out in getting a response from HMRC/figuring out next steps. Can I get some assistance on this matter? Thanks! However, since I
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:48:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

As your records were held under 2 National Insurance numbers you will need to contact our Income Tax team to check if the records have been updated to show the details under your correct National Insurance number and whether the 2022 to 2023 tax year has been reviewed.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.