Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 06 Apr 2024 10:06:24 GMT by Paul Hayes
Hi, I have just completed my tax return, but not yet submitted. I did it to see what my tax calculation would be. It is showing a refund of 4,179.40. I thought it would be more based on the calculations below and would appreciate any advice as to why it is only this amount. Income: 119,633 Tax paid through PAYE: 35,281 Pension contributions Gross (inc. 20% tax relief at source) 21,605 I would have thought the pension contributions would have made my adjusted net income to be 98,020 and thus my tax for the year should have been 26,636.40, resulting in a refund of 8644.60. In addition, I would also have expected an additional refund of higher rate tax on my pension contributions of about 3781. Therefore I would have expected to see a refund of around 12,425. I assume I am misunderstanding something regarding the tax calculation, so would appreciate any advice or help. some additional info, during the year, I left my income stated as 100,000 meaning I had the standard tax code 1257L which obviously drove the total PAYE tax figure of 35,281.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:48:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 

As you are not seeing the calculation expected, you may have completed your return incorrectly.
Please complete and file your return, then contact us directly - we can then review your entries, confirm if they have been completed correctly, and amend as appropriate. 

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.