Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2024 08:30:46 GMT by rhysspinner
Hi, I wanted to confirm my understanding re withdrawing money from my UK pension scheme which I transferred to a NZ QROPS scheme a while back. I believe I am eligible to withdraw all my money (I would like to pay down my mortgage) but wanted to check I can do this without any UK tax liabilities/penalties. The details are: • I left the UK in May 2013 and moved to NZ • I have been a NZ resident ever since (ie more than 10 full tax years) • I transferred my UK (defined contribution not defined benefit) pension here in August 2017 (ie more than five calendar years) • I have just turned 55 and want to withdraw the money from my pension My understanding is that before I am eligible to withdraw funds without any penalties or UK tax obligations I need: 1. To be non-resident in the UK for 10 full tax years 2. 5 calendar years to have passed since I transferred the funds 3. To have turned 55 I have ticked all the above boxes but I want to make sure I havent missed anything from the UK end. Any confirmation that I can withdraw the funds in total would be really appreciated. Thanks so much Rhys
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2024 15:46:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
Since 6 April 2017, you need to have been resident outside the UK for 10 consecutive tax years before you can access a QROPS pension (before April 2017, the requirement was five consecutive tax years).
However, even if you satisfy the 10-year rule, you may still fall under UK tax rules if you withdraw from a QROPS within five years of switching from a UK-based pension.  
Further information is at Tax treatment of QROPS
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.