Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2024 06:28:11 GMT by George Williams
I will be receiving a back payment under the McCloud Judgement of my public Service Pension in three parts: A. A correction to my tax free lump sum B. Back payment to correct underpaid pension C. Interest on the back payment. Parts B and C are being taxed at my marginal rate before payment to me (equivalent to a D0 tax code). Do I need to declare any part of this payment on my SATR?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 09:27:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Yes. you need to declare it and send details of the years the backdated pay relates to if you wish it to be allocated to the correct years. As the payment has not yet been made, this will not be declared until the 2024 to 2025 tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2024 11:53:41 GMT by George Williams
How will this be treated if this retrospective action makes my past adjusted net income increase past the threshold for High Income Child Benefit Charge or past the threshold for abatement of the personal allowance?
Posted Fri, 02 Aug 2024 12:50:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,
If the judgement awards an increase, which is paid in a single tax year, that applies to previous tax years; you will need to write to:
H.M. Revenue and Customs Self Assessment
BX9 1AS.  
Your letter should include details and evidence of the award, broken down for each tax year it applies to.  
HMRC can work out how much tax was payable in those earlier tax years and apply this upon request, where it is to your advantage.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.