Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2024 15:09:45 GMT by Pamela Thompson
I have just received my first state pension payment. I have been heavily taxed on one of my private pensions. Is this right? Also on my personal tax account the amount of private pensions stated is way too much - how do I get this amount changed.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2024 08:07:21 GMT by Peter Winthrop
I intend to work for a year or so after retirement. I will have full state pension and a small NHS Pension. Can I have all tax deducted from my salary so that the full amount of my pensions are paid in to my account. I realise that this will make no difference to the amount of tax I will owe and pay.Thank you.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 12:55:20 GMT by HJM
I was entitled to State Pension from end September 2023 and in the tax year to 5/4/24 received payments for a 2 week period and six 4 week periods. The last receipt falling in the tax year was received on 21 March 2024. My tax charge for 23/24 has been based on an additional 2 weeks to 5 April, even though these were not actually received until 18 April. DWP have advised me that for taxable income purposs HMRC take the weekly amount and multiply by number of weeks from entitlement to 5 April and not on actual receipts. This means I have been taxed on 2 weeks of Pension which were not received. Can HMRC sort out this anomaly
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2024 05:59:08 GMT by Gethin Bermingham
I've started recieving my state pension at the end of April. I am in full employment. How do I ensure that I am paying tax on this state pension, so as to ensure I don't have to make good any underpayment later?
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 13:18:08 GMT by Leone Francis
Hello I am getting my state pension on 12th September - but I'm still going to work full time for a year! - who do I have to inform ? TIA
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 08:07:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Gethin,
The DWP notify HMRC automatically when your State pension starts, this is usually within 7 days. HMRC will then issue an amended tax code including the State pension so tax is deducted accordingly which should reduce the chance of a tax underpayment arising. You can check your current tax code to ensure this has been updated on the personal tax account. Personal tax account: sign in or set up.
If your tax code has not been updated please contact us with the amount of State pension you are receiving so your tax code can be updated.
Income Tax: general enquiries.
Thank you.

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 09:27:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Peter,
Depending on the size of your NHS pension, that could be possible. Please contact us by webchat or phone via Income Tax: general enquiries to allow us to check your record and confirm that we can do that for you.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 11:07:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
The DWP will notify HMRC automatically when your state pension starts, this is usually within 7 days. HMRC will then issue an amended tax code including the state pension so tax is deducted accordingly. You can check your current tax code to ensure this has been updated on the personal tax account. Personal tax account: sign in or set up  
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 12:35:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Pamela,
The state pension is paid gross by the DWP, it is still a taxable source of income.
To compensate for this, we add the State Pension to the tax code as a deduction to collect the tax due through a PAYE source.
You can change your estimated income on the Personal Tax Account. 
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 14:49:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 33
Hi HJM,
If the amount of state pension in your code is incorrect, we can amend this.
Contact us by webchat or phone:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.