Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 01 Jul 2023 18:29:42 GMT by
I’m trying to work out how much tax will be due from savings interest on the proceeds of my mother-in-laws house sale once we invest it, since she is now in a care home, so we have had to sell her home. Here are the details of her income: £4,300 - State pension, attendance allowance £12,000 - War widows pension, which is not liable for tax as we understand it The proceeds from the sale of her house will be £400,000 and we plan to invest this into 1 year fixed term bonds paying around 6%, so the yearly interest will be £24,000 which will provide for some of her care over the next year. If I understand it correctly and this is where I need confirmation or correction, she should be able to earn up to £18,570 of combined taxable income and savings interest, which is comprised of £12,570 income tax allowance, plus £5000 savings starting rate allowance, plus £1000 savings personal allowance. Her taxable income is £4300 I believe, since war widows pension is not taxable, so if I subtract this £4300 from her £18,570 combined income and savings allowance, it means that the first £14,270 of her savings interest should not be taxed and then anything over this will be taxed at 20%, so approximately £2000 tax due when we do a tax return for her. Or should I be including the tax exempt war widows pension of £12,000 in the calculations ? … which would make a big difference to the tax due. I would very much appreciate it if someone can confirm if I got this right and if not provide some guidance on how I calculate the tax due.
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 06:53:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi hoayun,

Community Forum advisers are unable to comment on tax scenarios, but based on the figures and background information you have provided, your
understanding of how bank interest is taxed is correct.
Tax on savings interest

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.