Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 21:16:55 GMT by Pui Yee Lee
Hi, I bought US Treasury bills issued at a discount and redeemed at their full value in less than a year. No interest is paid. For example, I bought at USD 95 and on maturity after 6 months I would get USD 100. These are issued at a discount for maturity in less than a year and pay no interest. My first inclination is that the discount must be taxed as income as if it were interest but not capital gain as I kept it until maturity. Up to today, the USD is still keeping in my oversea platform, not remitted to UK. Because they are denominated in US dollars, I need to report this in self assessment form SA106 (foreign) Page 2 as "interest on oversea saving", am I correct? the amount I need to report is in sterling so I need to convert the USD into GBP using the exchange rate on buying date and maturity date. Is my understanding correct? If not, please correct me.
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:30:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You are correct. The return is paid at maturity rather than regular interest payments. In the UK, these are known as deeply discounted securities, with the discount being the difference between the price at which they were issued and the price received at maturity. The discount is taxed as income, rather than as capital gains.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 16 Oct 2023 15:41:05 GMT by Pui Yee Lee
Hi, Thanks for your confirmation. I have one more question. Since it have not been remitted to UK. Will it be treated as an unremittable income thus I need to put a check in form SA106 box (1)?
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 10:48:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
You can only treat it as such if the country actually stops you from removing the funds.
If it is your choice not to remit it then you still need to declare it unless you are claiming the remittance basis.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.