Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:45:48 GMT by
Hi, I work for the NHS full time and usually have the tax code 1257L. I recently started working Bank shifts at my Trust on a separate contract (I have done 4 in total so far in the last few weeks). My Bank Tax Code is BR which is fine but a couple of days ago I received a Tax Code Notice from HMRC stating my code on my full time job has changed to 544L X (Bank still BR) because they estimate I will owe £405 by April. I have checked via my online account with HMRC and they estimate I will earn just over £10k on the bank contract from now until the new tax year (which pushes me over the threshold at which 40% tax is paid). However, they based this on just TWO Bank shifts then decided to pluck £10k out of thin air and change my tax code. I have calculated the income I will receive from the bank shifts from now until April and it is £3.7k so have updated this accordingly via the online portal but the pay from my full time contract (to be paid 26/10) has already been affected by their very inaccurate estimations. For October, I have paid an extra £118 tax, £72 NI, £80 student loan...will these overpayments be rebated? Also, what tax code should I be on? I'm awaiting a new code now I have supplied accurate income from bank work. Kind regards, David
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 09:02:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi David Bayliss,

If you have updated your estimated pay on your personal tax account then your tax code will be adjusted accordingly.
If once updated you have overpaid your tax then when the amended code is operated by your employer any repayment due would come back through your salary.
We would need to access your record to review the tax code.
If you contact HMRC direct we can review this for you. Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.