Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 23 Sep 2023 12:42:18 GMT by Pines12345
I have an enhanced pension LTA, international (having been non UK resident), under Section 221 Finance Act 2004. I plan to do a full lump pension drawdown (this would be my first pension benefit crystallization). When the pension company applies the emergency tax code, should they take into account the enhancement - ie enabling a larger 25% tax free lump sum. (I would of course share with the pension company the certificates in advance of drawdown). regards
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 13:52:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If you have given the pension co the enhanced confirmation information then they should take this into account when makeing the tax free lump sum payment and advice HMRC accordigly.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 22 Oct 2023 17:18:31 GMT by Pines12345
Thank you for you response. Just to clarify. I have read that certain enhancement factors only apply to the life time charge mechanism but do not increase the PCLS itself. Could you confirm that the enhanced pension LTA, international, under Section 221 Finance Act 2004 does increase the PCLS? regards
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 11:16:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Pines12345,

Please refer to point 2 of Lifetime allowance guidance newsletter — March 2023 2. Pension commencement lump sum and lifetime allowance protections

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.