Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2024 07:00:06 GMT by LNG@UK
I was planned to immigrate to the UK through BNO Visa in August 2023. Then, I become a tax resident between Aug 2023 and Dec 2024. In that period, I had no any terms of employment, but only saving interest and dividend income. In Jan 2024, I move back to Hong Kong and have a permanent job. I have no any immigration plan back to the UK. Should I file tax for whole 2023/24 tax year?
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:46:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
You would need to review the guidance at RDR3 and take the statutory residence tests, to determine your UK tax residency status in 2023 to 2024.
RDR3 Statutory Residence Test
If you are resident in the UK for the whole tax year, you will need to consider the split year treatment guidance.  
If split year treatment applies, you would only declare your world-wide income from the date you arrived in the UK until the end of the tax year.  
If split year treatment does not apply, you will need to declare your world-wide income for the whole tax year and claim a foreign tax credit of up to 100% of the foreign tax paid.  
If you are considered to not UK resident for the whole tax year, you would declare that you are not resident and only include any income and capital gains arising in the UK in a tax return.  
Where you have to declare foreign income / capital gains, where foreign tax is payable, you can claim a foreign tax credit in the foreign section of a tax return.  
Have a look at:
Self Assessmentfor guidance on self assessment
 If you are considered not UK resident for the whole tax year and have no UK income or capital gains arising in the period you were resident in the UK, a tax return would not be required. 
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:34:06 GMT by LNG@UK
I moved to the UK through BNO Visa in Aug 2023. Checked that I am the tax resident for my living period of between Aug 2023 and Dec 2023. In 1 Jan 2024, I move back to Hong Kong and have a permanent job. I will apply for split year from Aug 2023, as I move to the UK in Aug 2023. Can/Should I apply for split year again from Jan 2024, as I move back to Hong Kong in Jan 2024.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 14:14:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi LNG@UK,
If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year:
RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Contents.
If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK:
Tax on foreign income
The guidance at RDRM12150 at www.gov.uk will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 
You would therefore need to make the decision yourself.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.