Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 09:29:42 GMT by
Hello HMRC, just following up on my request. Kind regards Gray
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 09:43:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Gray66 Thomas,
Tax is due based on where you are tax resident.
If  UK resident but non domiciled, you would then consider remittance basis and if the money is remitted to the UK then you could pay tax here: Paying tax on the remittance basis (Self Assessment helpsheet HS264)
If you are not UK resident then you would not declare the foreign income.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 10:28:04 GMT by
Thanks HMRC Thanks for the advice re the UK resident non-domiciled. I have not lived in the UK for nearly 30 years, so quite sure this does not apply to me. If you could please provide some further clarity Please confirm the following scenario which applies to 18.2.... If I return to the UK in February 24, and then receive the lump sum into my Swiss account in March 24 after I have returned to the UK, am I liable to pay any UK tax on the Swiss pension IF I have already paid tax to the Swiss authorities. Kind regards Gray
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 12:37:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

If you are UK tax resident in the year, you need to declare the Swiss pension. You can then claim foreign tax credit relief for the Swiss tax paid to set against any UK tax due.

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 14 Feb 2024 15:44:07 GMT by
Hello HMRC, I was resident in Switzerland from 2010-2019 where I contributed to a swiss pension scheme, then became a UK resident in 2019 and have been paying tax in the UK ever since. I am considering withdrawing my vested benefit Swiss pension (entire capital) as a single, one-off lump sum payment to a UK bank account in March 2024. Based on my preliminary communication with my Swiss pension holder, Swiss withholding tax would be deducted and I would receive a net amount (post Swiss tax). Based on Article 18/19 of the 1977 Switzerland/UK DTA, it is my understanding that I would not need to include this payment in my UK tax return, as the criteria of section 18.2 of the DTA is met ("a lump sum payment derived from a pension scheme established in a Contracting State and beneficially owned by a resident of the other Contracting State shall be taxable only in the first-mentioned State"). Please could you confirm that this is correct, and that my lump sum pension payment would not be taxable in the UK and thus not need to be declared in the tax return? Many thanks.
Posted Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:05:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

That is correct. However, make reference to the fact that you do receive the income on your tax return and that it is exempt under article 18 of the DTA.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 13:08:07 GMT by
Thank you very much. I have two follow-up questions on this: - in which section of my tax return should I mention that I received that one-off lump sum and that it is exempt under article 18 of the DTA? - would receiving this one-off lump sum from my swiss pension scheme trigger the MPAA? The guidance from the website ( states that the MPAA may be triggered if you have taken money from a "qualifying overseas pension that has had UK tax relief". None of my contributions to the swiss pension scheme have had UK tax relief as I was a swiss resident when contributing to the scheme, and according to article 18 of the DTA the one-off lump sum is "not taxable" in the UK, which in my understanding is different from benefitting from tax relief..? So the MPAA should not be triggered? Or am I misunderstanding the criteria triggering the MPAA? Many thanks
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 12:03:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi NRichardson ,
You would make reference to the pension in the additional comments section of the return.
As no UK tax relief has been applied on the Swiss pension, this wont trigger the MPAA.
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:22:26 GMT by umun
Hello. I was looking for some information and was referred to this forum. I found it very helpful - thank you HMRC. I am seeking a clarification to be certain of my understanding: I have been employed in Switzerland for 11 years. I am not a Uk national but a resident (with leave to remain). I plan to move to Uk full time soon. I have contributed to the Swiss state pension for 11 years and wanted to check if I can withdraw this in Switzerland and pay withholding taxes here?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.