Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 22:58:37 GMT by
I recently received notification of a pending refund which included a link to request this refund online. I went online well within the 21 days of the date shown on the letter to find that a check was already in the mail. The check arrived yesterday and was presented to my bank in the USA today. The bank recommendation is that I request HMRC cancel the check and request an online refund. Can this be done, making payment to a U.S. bank in US$?
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 15:05:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi George Keane,

Once a cheque has been issued we can't issue a replacement by any other method. We can also only send repayments to UK bank accounts.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 13:59:25 GMT by
Can I be paid my refund into my bank account
Posted Mon, 07 Aug 2023 14:00:28 GMT by
I am owed a overpayment can this be put into my bank account
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 01:14:31 GMT by
Hi David, As can be seen from the above response from HMRC Admin, refunds can only be made into UK bank accounts. As a USA resident, without a UK account, I had to nominate a person to receive the funds on my behalf and have them transfer the refund to me. This was done on the phone. A bit of advice if you live overseas, it is well worth setting your clock to call HMRC as soon as they open in the morning, otherwise the wait time could be quite lengthy.
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 08:17:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi David Moore,
You will need to query this with our Income Tax Team.
Contact details here: 
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 03:42:31 GMT by
hello, i left UK last August and I requested the p800 tax check.. HMRC sent me a message on the 27 of September saying that I have paid too much tax and I'm due to a refund.. I didn't get any cheque yet and I'm very worried about that because are already 2 months gone. how can I get my cheque? could I get the refund straight to my bank account please? Looking forward to hearing from you soon please. thanks for the help
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:52:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Davide Solinas,
We would need to access your record to check on the refund.
You can contact HMRC here:
Technical support with HMRC online services
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.