Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 12:15:27 GMT by Rhubarb
Hi, I am starting to cover yoga classes at yoga studios and gyms in Jun 2024 and would like to check if I should still register as a sole trader since I am not sure if I will earn more than £1000 by the end of the 2024/25 tax year? If you need more details/context, let me know. Thanks. R
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 16:04:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Rhubarb,
The guidance here:
Register as a sole trader
Advises that you may incur a penalty if you do not register in time.
If after the tax year has ended, you confirm that your gross profit has not exceeded the £1000 trading income allowance, you can contact our Self Assesment helpline on:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
To have the tax return withdrawn.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 17:53:29 GMT by Rhubarb
Thanks for your reply. Does that mean once I'm registered as a sole trader, it is obliged to file a tax return hence if I confirm my gross profit has not exceeded the £1000 trading income allowance I have to reach out to HRMC to waive the self-assessment / tax return filing? Also, since my situation is related to tax year 2024/25, is it okay that I take some more time to think over this? I may not really have an income / profit exceeding £1000 given the frequency I cover classes. I think for tax filing due date, it will be Jan 2026 for the tax year 2024/25 am I correct?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 09:40:39 GMT by Rhubarb
Hello, Following up on the above please. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 08:17:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Rhubarb

Yes if you gross income from the Self Assessment is £1000 or less then if you do not meet the criteria then your Self Assessment can be closed for that tax year.
If this is the case you can contact HMRC to update Self Assessment: general enquiries.
If not yet registered then you can wait until the tax year end for 2024/25 and if above the £1000 you can register at that time and the online filing date will be 31 January 2026.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.