Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 01 Jan 2024 16:09:42 GMT by Tullamore Dew
Hi, I will need to submit a paper self assessment on behalf of a relative for the 23/24 tax year. Can I start the process now to register for self assessment on their behalf?
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 15:39:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If they meet the criteria for Self Assessment for 2023 to 2024 then yes they would need to register to receive the tax return. They can check if they meet the criteria at:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 16:27:11 GMT by Tullamore Dew
I am already aware that my relative will meet the criteria and will need to do a self assessment for the 23/24 tax year. My question was can I start the process now to apply on their behalf for self assessment for 23/24, or do I have to wait until after 6th April 2024 before I can apply?
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:48:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can apply anytime prior to 5 October 2024. The tax return will not be issued until after 6 April 2024.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.