Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:10:35 GMT by PaulMc34
Last year I received some options that I converted and then sold. As part of the process I automatically paid Tax and National Insurance. My query is what section do I need to declare that income/tax in my personal tax return?
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:10:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

As the payment is from your employer, the income should be shown in the employment section if it is included in your P60.
You would then claim credit for the Tax in the foreign section under 'Employment, self-employment and other income which you paid foreign tax on'.
If it's not included in your P60, please include it on the box on the employment page for 'Tips and other payments not included on your P60'.  
ERSM20193 advises that when RSUs payout at the market value on what is called "dividend equivalents" in either cash or shares, such payments will generally be taxed as earnings in the year they are received.  
See ERSM20193 - Employment-related securities and options: what are securities: RSUs and dividend equivalents

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.