Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 14:38:23 GMT by
Hi, I'm a UK Tax resident and domiciled in the UK. I tried to check if I need to send a tax return by checking through the below pages but I'm still unsure. For tax year 2022/23, I earned wages in UK. Not self-employed. Income Tax Band is Basic rate. I got less than £700 interest from foreign bank accounts. I made a gain less than £300 from selling foreign stocks. Basic rate Personal Savings Allowance (PSA): £1000 [] CGT annual exempt amount (AEA): £6,150 [] According to the captioned links, for my case, the foreign banking interest and capital gain should be less than the tax allowance for the tax year 2022/23. I think I don't need to pay UK tax for such foreign income. Do I need to submit the self-assessment tax return for the above-mentioned foreign income? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 10:02:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As you are in  receipt of forign income from bank accounts and foreign stock, you meet the criteria for completing a Self Assessment Tax Return. When it comes to Self Assessment Tax Return, there is no minimum limit for overseas income / gains.

You can register for self assessment at:

Check how to register for Self Assessment

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 10:56:47 GMT by
Hi, 1) Just double confirm. Even I don't need to pay any UK tax for foreign income, I still need to submit Self-Assessment Tax Return? 2) If yes, then I missed to submit the tax return for tax year 2021/22. I arrived the UK in August 2021. I thought I didn't need to submit the tax return because I didn't need to pay UK tax for foreign income. What should I do? 3) I registered for Self Assessment on 30 September 2023. I haven't received anything from HMRC yet, incl., UTR. How can I check the status and progress? Any contact points, preferably email address? Thank You.
Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:57:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi L,
No matter how much or little your overseas income / gains are, you must declare them in a Self Assessment tax return, even if you do not have to pay UK tax on the overseas income / gains.
If yu are UK resident for less than 16 years, but not Uk domiciled, you may qualify for 'Exemption for small amounts of foreign income'.
Have a look at section 9 of Exemption for small amounts of foreign income, to see if you meet the criteria.
If you need to complete a tax return, you can download a paper version, including supplementary pages at:
Self Assessment tax return forms
Alternatively, if you are able to register for a person tax account, you will be able to complete your tax return online.
Personal tax account: sign in or set up
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 21 Oct 2023 14:33:55 GMT by lilly90
Hello, I'm a UK Tax resident and domiciled in the UK. I have some questions regarding my tax situation: 1. I earned wages in the UK, and my Income Tax Band is Basic rate. 2. I received about £600 in interest from a foreign bank account due to investments in Italian Treasury Bonds. I understand that the Basic rate Personal Savings Allowance (PSA) is £1,000. My questions are: - Does the £600 foreign interest the count towards the PSA? - Do I need to file a self-assessment tax return for this foreign income, even if it's less than £2,000? Thank you for your help. Lili
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 13:40:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Foreign interest is declared in pounds sterling and is added to your UK interest for tax purposes. Both then count towards your PSA. Foreign income, no matter how little, must be declared in a Self Assesment Tax Return, even if no tax is payable.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:30:39 GMT by Lisa
Dear Sir, which section of SA100 I should declare my foreign income in Self Assessment Tax Return? thanks.
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 10:18:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lisa,
Foreign income is declared on a supplementary page SA106.  
You can download it from Self Assessment tax return forms.
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 11:52:53 GMT by lilly90
Hi, I’m sorry but your colleagues on Twitter just said the opposite: “ You will need to total up the interest received. If it's less than the Personal Savings allowance, it doesn't need to be declared.” I would be grateful if you could confirm whether or not I need to fill in a SA tax form. Thanks!
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:56:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi lilly90,
If you have foreign income, other then dividends, you still need to complete a tax return to show this irrespective of the amount received.
Tax on foreign income
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.