Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 01 Aug 2024 16:27:15 GMT by Diana
Hello, I am registered as a Sole Trader in the UK and holding two citizenships: EU and UK. If I relocate permanently to Spain would I still be able to carry on working remotely in the UK under Sole Trader status? If so, what documentation I need to submit to HMRC. Thank you
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 14:02:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
If you register for self employment in the UK, you would be declaring your world-wide self employment income while resident in the UK.  If you relocated to Spain, then you would declare to the Spanish tax authorities that you are self employed and in receipt of overseas self employment income from the UK.  You would no longer be taxable on the self employment in the UK, when you relocate to Spain.  This will not prevent you from having UK clients and generating self employment income through them.
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 16:13:12 GMT by Diana
Hi, Thank you for the answer. What will happen to my self employed status in the UK? Will I lose it? Thank you, Diana
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 15:55:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

If leaving the UK means that you no longer need to declare income or capital gains in the UK, then your self assessment record will become dormant.  
A phone call, letter or webchat to HMRC is all that is needed to reactivate it.  
Any enquiries you have regarding volunary national insurance, should be referred to 0300 200 3500 (+44 191 203 7010 from overseas).

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.