Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2024 16:57:26 GMT by Jay Sear
I overpaid tax of nearly £7k in the 2023/24 tax year. I completed my self assessment in early April and applied for the refund on 20 April. According to the website I should have had a response by 31 May but I haven't. I can't get through to speak to someone - the call is just disconnected. How do I follow this up?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2024 10:19:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

If the repayment has still not been issued we would need to access your record to review. You can contact HMRC at:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2024 11:51:08 GMT by Jesse Stephen Salalila
I completely understand your frustration, as I'm currently dealing with a similar situation myself. Back in October 2023, I requested a self-assessment tax repayment of £13,400.18, but despite the significant time that has passed, I still haven't received it. To make things worse, I had to submit a new request on May 9th, 2024, because the system seemed to reset and didn't recognize my initial request. It's been over nine months now, and the delay is causing a lot of inconvenience and financial strain. If you have any advice or have found any steps that helped expedite your process, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share. It's been a tough situation, and any tips or support from someone going through the same thing would be really helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience, and I hope we both get this resolved soon.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2024 14:46:44 GMT by Jay Sear
Dear HMRC, The problem is that I (and other people) cannot contact the self assessment team - if you phone up you are not given the option of waiting - the call is just disconnected. Please can you advise how to get through? Thanks
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2024 17:29:33 GMT by Zimbobecky
I am also waiting. Submitted request in March. If I use the online help as per the HMRC reply above, it says I should have it by now. I understand that there may be additional security checks. How do I know my submission was received though? I have a screenshot of the confirmation page, but on my account it ways nothing (should it say 'repayment pending'? Because it doesn't say anything)
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2024 17:24:06 GMT by Jay Sear
Ok - I think I have managed to get it sorted - at least I have been told that the BACs payment has now been paid - here is what I did and I hope it works for both of you! 1. Don't bother with phoning - it seems impossible even to get in a queue, Instead use HMRC online https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/ask-hmrc/chat/self-assessment - you start off with a chatbot which will try and direct you to various pages but just keep repeating that you need to speak to an advisor about a refund. It will tell you if no advisors are available but otherwise you will be put in a queue. I had to wait about 30 minutes. 2. Have ready the following info to cut and paste into the chat: your national insurance number, name, DOB, address, the date that you submitted the refund and reference number if you have it and the amount owed. 3. I got cut off from the first advisor and had to wait another 25 mins for the next advisor so I'd recommend just writing it all down and cutting and pasting it in. 4. The adviser checked my account, authorised the refund, asked me to confirm bank account number and sort code and told me it would be in my account within 10 days. Fingers crossed and good luck!
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2024 09:10:38 GMT by Zimbobecky
Thank you! I've never been able to get through on webchat before, it always says 'no agents available'. Today, it put me through (approx 15mins wait). Answered security questions (I was also asked the date of my self assessment which I didn't know offhand). Then was told my repayment is being reviewed and I will get a letter within 10weeks. She also said if your account doesn't say 'pe ding' it means there is an issue and you should get in touch earlier. Which i tried to ...... Very frustrating but I'm hoping it may be moving forward now. Thank you for your help!
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 08:56:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Jay,
Please go to Self Assessment: general enquiries and click 'Ask HMRC Online' - you can then talk to an advisor via our webchat.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 09:29:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi Zimbobecky,

To give you advice on the progress of your repayment, we may have to access your record. To allow us to do this, please contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.