Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 24 Jun 2023 17:04:47 GMT by Jane Laninga
I file Self-Assessment because I have investment income from overseas. In 2021-22 I had unusually high income and paid the tax due on 31 January 2023 along with the first payment on account for 2022-23. For 2022-23 my income returned to its usual level which is less than the personal allowance. Since no tax is due and the first payment on account should be refunded to me, it seems redundant to make the second payment on account. However, I have received a letter reminding me to do that. Should I still make the second payment? Will the first payment be automatically refunded to me? I received a notice telling me to file Self-Assessment for 22-23. When I log on to my Government Gateway account there is no link to Self-Assessment forms like there used to be. Could that be because during 22-23 I started receiving a small monthly pension? My total income was still below the personal allowance. For February and March 2023 my tax code on the pension statements was 0T and tax was deducted. Please let me know what I need to do to keep my tax account in order. I do not want to pay interest and penalties. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 29 Jun 2023 10:15:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jane Laninga,

Once the tax return is processed, the first payment on account will be refunded to you.
If you are unable to see Self-Assessment on your account, please go to Sign in using Government Gateway, select 'Government Gateway' to log in with your User ID and Password,
select `enrol for service’ at the side of Self Assessment on the "Services You can add" page.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 08:20:31 GMT by Jane Laninga
Sorry to be a nuisance, but I don't have any mention at all of self-assessment or "services you can add", or "enrol for service". When I sign into my Government Gateway account, it goes straight to the home page where there are the headings along the top of the page: "Messages, Check Progress, Profiles and Settings & Sign Out". As I scroll down the home page, I have Latest News, PAYE, National Insurance, Annual Tax Summary. Under the heading Benefits I have Tax Credits, Child Benefit and Marriage Allowance. Under the heading Pensions I have State Pension. Please advise. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 13:38:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

This needs to be accessed from outside your account.

You can try another browser.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 08:19:48 GMT by Jane Laninga
Unfortunately when I tried this I got an error message saying that the service, ie a link to SA online filing, was already loaded. When I log on to Government Gateway nothing has changed. I still cannot access SA in my account.
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 10:29:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jane Laninga,

If you are being told that there is another account linked to Self Assessment, you will need to contact our Online Services Helpdesk to try and retrieve the login details,

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.