Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:44:53 GMT by KFS So
Dear Admin, Before I moved to UK and became UK resident, I have taken and completed a continuing education fund (CEF) course in Hong Kong which is subsidised by Hong Kong government. I successfully reimbursed the course fee after I moved into UK. As I have applied split year treatment, I wonder if I have or don’t have to include the reimbursed course fee as a income? Please advise. In addition, I have rent out a joint oversea property which is under a mortgage. Am I correct to report the mortgage interest in foreign income supplementary page ‘Residential finance costs’ for deduction? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 13:12:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi KFS So,
You don't need to report the fees as income.
For the rental income, yes you can claim the interest on the mortgage as residential finance costs.
As you state it is a joint property, all income and expenses must be split 50/50.
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:44:44 GMT by KFS So
Dear admin, Thank you so much for your kind reply. I have one more question. If me and my husband has an oversea joint bank account and my husband is non-UK resident. He sometimes will transfer money to this oversea account to support me and my children living in UK. Would it be considered as a foreign income? Do I have to report this in my self- assessment? If it generates interests, do I have to report the interest? Thanks so much!
Posted Mon, 19 Feb 2024 12:48:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If the overseas bank account generates interest then this is foreign income and you would declare your share.

The actual funds that your husband transfers for upkeep is not foreign income.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.