Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 11:41:03 GMT by
Hi, This is my first self-assessment, so this may be a basic question. About half of my freelance income is from a foreign source. Do I include the amount from the foreign source in the Income section under 'Turnover', along with my UK-sourced income? Or does it go only into the Foreign Income section, under 'Employment, self-employment and other income which you paid foreign tax on'? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 15:29:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi jfsy,
You will need to convert your foreign self employment income to pounds sterling and add it to your turnover in the self employment section, so that tax and NI can be calculated.  
If any foreign tax was deducted, you would also declare the self employment income and tax deducted in the self employment section.  
This will allow you to claim a foreign tax credit for the foreign tax paid.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.