Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 11:03:28 GMT by J Glalli
Dear Sir/Madam I would like to know if I need to file a tax return under my current situation: - I retired and do not have a job. - I have dividends, bank interest, savings and investments from overseas for less than £10,000 (including capital gains from overseas for less than £6,000) . - I used the tool on the government page ‘Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return’ for checking if I need to send a self assessment tax return. After answering questions, it is shown that I do not need to send a tax return. Based on the above, may I know that 1. Registration for Self Assessment is a must, mustn’t it? 2. Is it illegal for not submitting tax return even though my overseas income/gains are covered by personal allowances? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 11:25:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, in this case you would need to submit a tax return. If your income is covered by your personal allowance then no tax will be due but the tax return will still need to be filed. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.