Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• File tax return 2021/22

Hi, I have been asked recently to complete and file a Self Assessment tax return 'online' for 2021/22. May I know if I am allowed to submit tax return by using commercial software? Thanks.
  • RE: File Self Assessment tax return online

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I guess I am not a Self Assessment customer as I file a tax return for the first time. Though, I have a UTR number as provided on the HMRC letter. According to the instructions given on 'File your Self Assessment tax return online', I have to register Self Assessment again. After that, I am able to access an online form 'Registering for Self Assessment and getting a tax return'. There is only a few things I am asked to complete. For example, Date untaxed income received from Directorship, Date income from land and property started, Date started receiving taxable foreign income, Date annual income from trust/settlement started, Date my annual income will exceed £100,000 etc. I received a letter from the HMRC asking me to complete a Self Assessment tax return for the tax year 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022. I am wondering if the form 'Registering for Self Assessment and getting a tax return' is the right form I should complete. If I am not doing correctly for accessing the form, could you tell me again more specifically how can I access the Self Assessment tax return for the tax year 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022. Your advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
  • File Self Assessment tax return online

I have just received a letter from HMRC that I need to file a Self Assessment tax return online for the tax year 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022. I cannot locate a link or an icon to direct me to complete a Self Assessment tax return on my Government Gateway account. There is only a statement under the tax year 2021/2022 that 'You paid the right amount of tax. HMRC has no record of you being employed in this tax year so there is nothing more to pay.' How can I complete the Self Assessment tax return for 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022? May I have your advice please? Thanks
  • Self Assessment Tax return

Dear Sir/Madam I would like to know if I need to file a tax return under my current situation: - I retired and do not have a job. - I have dividends, bank interest, savings and investments from overseas for less than £10,000 (including capital gains from overseas for less than £6,000) . - I used the tool on the government page ‘Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return’ for checking if I need to send a self assessment tax return. After answering questions, it is shown that I do not need to send a tax return. Based on the above, may I know that 1. Registration for Self Assessment is a must, mustn’t it? 2. Is it illegal for not submitting tax return even though my overseas income/gains are covered by personal allowances? Thank you.