Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 13:39:13 GMT by EmDee
I completed my Self Assessment on 14th May and my account shows as in credit. I completed the refund request form in mid May and heard nothing, the payment wasn't showing as pending or requested on my account and I received no email confirmation of the request. After a good few weeks I wondered if I had screwed up the form so I re-entered the details on 24th June (I realise that you shouldn't do this, but I expected my account to at least show that I had requested a refund and I lost my nerve). 8 weeks later (and about 12 weeks after I initially filled out the request) I still don't have my refund and I still can't see anything on my account to show I requested a payment. The amount I am due still shows as credit. I realise there may be security checks, however the form checker says I should have had a response by now. My partner has the same issue with roughly the same dates. How long are people really waiting at the moment? Does everyone have nothing showing on their account when they have requested a refund but it is yet to be paid? Generally I think HMRC's digital service is pretty decent but this is frustrating.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 14:13:57 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Not HMRC...if your account shows in credit and the repayment has not gone to "pending" prior to being made then the repayment request has NOT been actioned...it hasnt even made it to security checks (if that happens) and wont until the system recognizes it's been requested. If you have requested it (you can ask once, twice, hundreds of times) and nothing has moved then its likely HMRC has set a signal to "no repayment" for some prior reason and you would need to call them.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 14:19:13 GMT by EmDee
This is helpful, thank you. Annoyingly it is almost impossible to get through the automated phone system to speak to them, but I'll give it a crack!
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 10:53:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi EmDee,
You can find out when you can expect to receive a reply form HMRC here: 
Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.