Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:49:51 GMT by Tony Chau
on behalf of my wife as she is a non-Resident having UK Property Income. and using "Check if you need to do a tax return" questionnaire, the result shows that I do not need to submit a self assessment, and it stated that I must tell HM Revenue and Customs. using either online form or phone I will need a NI no., how does a non-resident has a NI no. 

Name removed admin .
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 12:49:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As a non resident with UK property income your wife meets Self Assessment criteria as she is regarded as a non resident landlord.  

If she does not have a National Insurance number then she can register for Self Assessment by sending in form SA1 to us by paper. You can see guidance here: 

Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 19:03:11 GMT by yanyan
Hello, sirs I have £5,600 in regular savings interest income this financial year, but my income from work this financial year is only £9,000. Do I need to submit a tax return? kind greeting a new immigrant
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 08:52:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi yanyan,

If your income of £9000 from PAYE and your only other income is/was your savings income then no you do not meet the criteria for Self Assessment.
You can check if you meet the criteira at  Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.