Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 23:16:09 GMT by Matthew Allwood
The SA website says that I am due a tax refund for the 22-23 FY. I submitted a request for this refund around December, where it said that repayment was likely due around Jan/Feb. I'm still waiting for this and cannot see any means to escalate this or to find out what the hold up is. Calling ends up re-directing me to the website which just tells me that I should receive payment by Jan/Feb, and when I called another number and spoke to someone, they redirected my to the Self Assessment helpline which ended up with the same automated message to go to the original website. How am I meant to find out what is the cause of this multi-month delay??? Also, I have been receiving messages that I do not need to complete SA next year. The only reason that I do complete SA is to get higher-rate tax relief on my SIPP payments. Are these due to be automated, as the notice gives no reason why it thinks I should not fill in a return and I have not seen any other notice that claiming higher-rate pension tax relief is no longer needed.
Posted Wed, 08 May 2024 16:37:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Matthew,
To review the repayment we will need to access your record.
You can contact HMRC at Self Assessment: general enquiries. There is also a webchat option available from the link.
Pension contributions are not Self Assessment criteria unless you received a pension saving tax charge notice or exceed the pension contribution annual allowance.
You can check the criteria at Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return.
If not a one of payment for your pension contributions then your tax code would be amended to give tax relief going forward. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.