Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:45:03 GMT by
I am a sole trader composer and film-maker. I had a garden studio constructed in the 2022-23 tax year. The build expenses to offset are around £28k. I understand that I can either treat this as a capital expense or offset the build costs against income. In this tax return I don't need more expenses to offset against my modest income. Do I have to declare the whole build expense in this tax year, carrying forward any unused expenses, or can I split the expense over several years, claiming a % each year. It would be great to have some advice on the best way to deal with this expense? Thank you
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:10:08 GMT by
Anyone have any advice on my previous post? I also have a capital loss question. When you lose 100% of a property investment, how can you enter that in the capital gain pages? When I enter that I have disposed of an asset it won't let me put in the 'Dispoal Proceeds' as zero. So I put in proceeds as £1 and 'Allowable costs' as £15,001' i.e I made a loss of £15k - this loss was crystalised in 2022-23 tax year from a historic investment. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:12:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
If claiming against the self employment, you show them in the year they are incurred. this would then generate a loss that can then be re allocated. further guidance is at https:
Relief for trading losses (Self Assessment helpsheet HS227
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 09:15:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi insch

As oer our previous reply, for the capital loss, yes you would add £1 for it to work.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.