Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 13:10:43 GMT by
Hi I need to complete a self assessment return to declare my private medical insurance which I receive as part of my occupational pension Unfortunately this is no longer taxed at source but my pension is However I cannot see anywhere on the return to enter this figure which I do need to pay tax on Any advice?
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:05:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As benefits are normal part of employment income they are included at a section within that page. as this does not apply to you, declare the taxable benefit as other income so that it is included in the calculation.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2024 12:49:19 GMT by GJ K
I receive medical insurance benefit as a pensioner of my previous employer like the original poster here. I have previously declared my medical insurance and when I included it in last year's return (2022/23) as 'other income' as you advise, I received a tax code which had both the 'medical benefit' amount plus the same amount as 'other income' resulting in the tax code being wrong. I eventually received a correct code after a telephone call to you (albeit after a wait of one hour for the phone to be answered.) I am concerned that if I include the medical benefit as 'other income' in this year's return (2023/24) I'm going to have the same problem for the coming year. Could you advise how to avoid this please?
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 13:43:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

As medical benefit from an employer you would need to include an employment page showing the medical benefit only.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:12:56 GMT by GJ K
Thank you for your reply but it seems to contradict your response to the original poster where you advised them to put the benefit on their return as 'other income.' Can you be more precise about exactly where I should insert this benefit on my next return?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:09:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi GJ K,
If you are receiving the benefit from an employer then you would include the employment page for the employer and declare the medical benefit received. 
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.