Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 19:53:56 GMT by
Hi, I get PMI and the benefit in kind is payrolled, so we don't get P11D. As it's taxed monthly through my pay - does it need to be added in self-assessment under "Have you received any taxable benefits and expense payments"?
Posted Tue, 29 Aug 2023 14:37:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

No, if its done through payroll it should not be added onto the return.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 17:21:39 GMT by
Just to confirm to the specific question I get asked on the form "Have you received any taxable benefits and expense payments from Company X ?" As I don't get a P11D and this goes through Payroll as a PSA I should answer No to this question even though I do actually get benefits? It feels very unnatural to answer no on a tax form even though I know the answer to be Yes. I would advise that the notes (below) are updated on the Self Assessment form as how does anyone know that without trawling these forums or spending 1 hour plus waiting to ask HMRC this question (before just being cut off in this case). "Help about: Employment 12 - What are benefits and expenses? All benefits and expenses provided add to your income and can include: company cars and fuel interest-free and low interest loans private medical and dental insurance"
Posted Thu, 07 Sep 2023 10:44:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi englandreturns,

If the benefit is taxed through payroll you answer no to the question.
If you answer yes you would be taxed on the amount again.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2024 14:13:13 GMT by stuart campey
Hi, re the above - we had cars in May 2023 and the company completed a P46 i am paye but also do self assesment. if P46 done am i safe to assume i can put "no" to the co.car questions on Self assesment ?
Posted Wed, 03 Jul 2024 08:17:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi stuart,
To answer your query correctly, we may need to clarify some information.
Please contact us by webchat or phone via Self Assessment: general enquiries to allow us to do this.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.