Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:12:07 GMT by franz
Hi there, I am registered as self-employed and I have recently done a freelance job for a public institution in Switzerland. They require me to send a VAT number with my invoice, otherwise they won't be able to pay me. Where should I find that number? They don't accept UTR number. Many thanks, Francesca
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 09:59:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Francesca Zappia,
 You can only supply a VAT number if you are a business which is VAT registered.
If you are not VAT registered or choose not be VAT registered then you can not supply this.
We would recommend contacting them and asking them if there is anything which you can provide them.
Please see the guidance below regarding requirements for VAT registration:
Working out whether you need to register
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 10:09:22 GMT by franz
Hi, Thanks for your message. The link provided is blocked, would you be able to send it again? I also had another question. I have done another job for them earlier this year, and was paid on payroll. I received a paysheet (even though it was just for one service), and they have taken taxes from my fees. I was wondering how this should be declared to HMRC, and if I would need to pay taxes on that also in the UK. Many thanks, Francesca
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 09:39:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi franzx,
Please refer to guidance at Tax on foreign income
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.