Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 09:56:08 GMT by
Dear Sirs, I moved to UK 2022. Filed self assessment for 2022/23 with paperform(SA100,106,109). It is the first time file for income tax. I setup a Personal Income Tax Account login in government gateway around Jan 2023. I login gateway again this week. And there is one more option "Business tax account" available under top right hand connor "Account Menu". Q1. Is that mean I have one "Personal Income Tax Account" and one "Business tax account" ? I never request a "Business Tax Account" Q2. How do I check what type of account I have? Q3. Oversea dividend received in non UK bank account is classify as foreign income. Does it entitle "Dividend Allowance"? If not, what is the tax rate if I am in basic rate Income Tax band? Q4. For filing with paper form, the tax amount bill should post to me. But under the "Business Tax Acoount", it show small amount owe and have to paid before Jan 2024. I havn't received any tax bill by post from HMRC. This amount is for reference or...? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 10:26:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi FIN YON,

The Business Tax Account is used for Self Assessment and the Personal Tax Account can be used for non Self Assessment tax.
If you file online you will not receive a paper bill.
The dividends would count towards the dividend allowance.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 18:00:10 GMT by
Thanks! Got a better picture now. And have more questions for tax return. Q1. Is "Self Assessment:Tax Calculation" same as "Tax Statement"? My friend received "Tax Calculation" from HMRC by post but it doesn't included the paying in slip. My friend's tax background is similiar to me. Q2. Is the 11-character payment reference equal to UTR+'K'? Q3. Should I pay the tax near Dec? It is because there is a chance HMRC might revise it if any incorrect tax calculation or other reason. Q4. The revised tax calculation still send to me by post? Q5. Next year 2023/24 tax return, if I file Self Assessment tax return online, I should do it under personal income tax account or business tax account? For example, income from overseas saving interest and UK employment(PAYE). Q6. Do i need to get a activation code next year 2023/24 for complete Self Assessment registration? UTR is same for the next year and in the future? Thank you so much.
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 09:46:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

No the calculation is to show how the tax is worked out based on the information from the return.

The statement is then telling you when the payment is due and this will include the pay in slip.

You can make the payment at any time prior to 31/01/24 (for 22/23 tax).

A new activation code is not required for each tax year  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 15:51:56 GMT by
Dear Sirs, Need more information for self assessment tax return(Personal Income Tax) Q1. File a paper form (SA100, SA106 and SA109) by post, HMRC will issue a "Tax Calculation" by post first. Then HMRC will send the "Tax Statement" by post later. Am I right? Q2.How long HMRC will take to issue the "Tax Statement" after issue "Tax Calculation"? Q3. Is the 11-character payment reference equal to UTR#+'K' when make a Tax Payment? Q4.I read from Formu, there are some people experience a late filing penalty(£100) for late report self assessment tax return. But they did it online already before deadline or they suppose no need to do it as they paid it through PAYE already. When HMRC send out Late Filing Penalty, any staff double check the system record or just let system generate penalty bill and send it out ? Q5. I tax return by post and I registered for Personal Tax Account online this year. Any chance for Late Filing Penalty because of system doesnt have my Tax Return record? Thank you so much.
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 15:26:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi FIN YON,
1. Yes
2. The statement is normally issued approximately 6 weeks before any payment is due (it return is received late, this time limit may be lower)
3. Yes  
4. The late filing penalty is issued automatically if the return is received after the applicable due date  
5 Sorry, cannot be answered in full as your personal details would be required to check your record, you cannot provide these on the forum.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.